Saturday, September 21, 2013

I'll Pray for You. Seriously. I will.

"I'll pray for you."

MAN! I have a love/hate relationship with those words. They tend to be used in the following contexts:

1) I sincerely and seriously will pray for you, my brother and/or sister in Christ, because I know that praying is the most powerful thing we can do for one another. 

I love this! I know so many amazing people who have supported my family and I in prayer and I can literally feel the power of those prayers. I trust them to pray for me when I don't have the words, or I feel too weak, or I just need someone else to say the words along with me so I know I'm not alone. 

My friend, Sheri Wohlfert (see her blog here) randomly sent me messages assuring me that she was praying for me when I asked for prayer during this difficult summer. Many others did so as well. It meant the world to us and helped us to put our trust in God, knowing we weren't alone in knocking on His door asking Him for strength, peace, and grace. While our cross was/is heavy, many helped us carry it along the way. 

2) I sincerely intend to pray for you, but I don't have prayer structured into my day and thus will likely forget. 

Yikes! How many of us have been there, right? The more consistent I have been in my prayer life, the more I remember to pray for those who have asked me for prayer. It's amazing. It's like... when I put my spiritual life first, and make it a priority in my day...I have more grace, focus, and clarity to remember spiritual needs of not just myself, but of others! 

Who would have thunk it. 

I can listen to the Holy Spirit when He puts names on my heart. It's amazing to be able to say to someone you have been praying for them when...

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE!! 

3) I am just saying this because I'm not sure what else to say.  

I can't tell you how many times after a speaking engagement or concert, someone will come up to me and share something deeply personal and I am literally at a loss for what to say. If I say, "I'll pray for you." That basically ends the conversation. But is that it? Is that all they get? The Lord has worked powerfully in their lives and they have felt the urge to share what is going on and I send them off with, "I'll pray for you" simply because with all the right intention I have in the world... I feel it is up to me to have the right words and "I'll pray for you" sounds pretty good. 

When we experience that loss for words and, simply because we don't know what to say, all we can turn to is... I'll pray for you... do it right then and there. 

Because, maybe.... just maybe.... you don't know what to say, but He does.

4) I am saying this because you won't agree with me and I think you need a conversion. 

This is the most horrible use of this phrase!!!! Ahhhh!!!! Screams and pulls hair out!!!!

Ok. I am calm now. 

Wait.. one more... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!   

Ok, done. 

Prayer is weapon against satan. Not against each other. To say, "I'll pray for you" when someone disagrees with a teaching on morality or theology or any other kind of disagreement you can get into... it screams "insincere and passive aggressive." It screams, "I'm right, you're wrong, and I pray God will show you that." It screams, "God is on my side, not yours." It is often used, particularly in debates on social media where the intent and sincerity of the person cannot be read, and it poses a condescending end to an argument/debate. If I believe this person with whom I have been arguing sincerely needs prayers, I will pray for them in all humility and quietness. The Lord knows my heart and knows their heart. 

One of my least favorite penances was to pray for someone I had hurt and who had hurt me in an argument. I swore I would never be friends with this person again. My prayer began like this, "Lord, please help her see the light! Please help her be kind and see how she hurt me." 

Facepalm. Epic Fail. Etc. 

As the Lord began to work through those prayers and help me see how trite and childish I was being, my prayer turned to, "Lord, please bring her peace. Please help her know how much You love her. Please help me love her. Please help me forgive her."

I was the one in need of conversion. I just didn't realize it at the time. 

It was a wise penance. 

Next thing you know I'll be praying for my husband after we have a fight. Ha ;P Just kidding. 

I mean... I do pray for him. But sometimes it really is... "Please help him see the light!" :P 

But hey, conversion is ongoing.... 

And.

I'll pray for you. Seriously. I will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment